Why Does My Dimmer Switch Get Very Hot?
June 30, 2006
Q: I have a new house and the dimmer switch on the kitchen lights gets very hot. There are 11 can lights with 65W bulbs in each. What is my problem?
A: I believe the problem is your dimmer switch in undersized. Dimmer switches are rated in watts and according to the load served. Your load is 11 cans x 65 watts each = 715 watts. You probably have a 600 watt dimmer switch in place and you need to upgrade to a 1,000 watt dimmer switch.
You may also replace your light bulbs with lower wattage bulbs. In this case, the maximum wattage bulbs that you may use is 50 watts. However, I recommend replacing the dimmer switch.
When you replace your dimmer switch, be sure to turn off the power first and verify that the power is off before touching any wires. When you install your new dimmer switch be sure that the ground wire is hooked up. It is extremely important to ground dimmer switches.
Technorati tags: DIY Electrical Wiring Help | Answers To Your Electrical Questions | Electrical Wiring Tips | Expert Electrical Advice | Wiring A Dimmer Switch | Home Light Switch Wiring | Electrical Switches
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- If I Add A Flood Light, Will I Overload My 15 Ampere Circuit?
- Adding Electric Baseboard Heaters to an Existing Circuit, Wiring Four Light Switches and Changing Light Switching Around
- Installing a 3-way Dimmer Switch, Terminating a Dryer Power Cord and Supplying Power to a Water Softener
- Answers to Electrical Questions About 3-way Switches and Electric Dryer Connections
- Repairing an Electric Dryer, Wiring a 240 Volt Wall Heater, Installing a Dimmer Switch and Ground Rod Requirements