Answers to Electrical Questions about Splicing 220 Volt Circuits, Water Heater Breaker and Electrical Consulting
September 9, 2007
Mark Nagel Says:
I need to move my air conditioning condenser/compressor to fit a shed behind my garage. The electical shut off also needs to be moved about 5 feet. The wire from the Breaker box to the shut off is too short to move 5?. Can I add an electrical/junction box and splice 8? more length with wire nuts to move the air conditioner shutoff box? I’ve done this before for lights and outlets, but not a high load 220 line. Does this need to be continuous from the breaker box or can I splice in and extend it? Also anything special beside wire nuts?
A: Yes, it is fine to splice your 240 volt circuit in a junction box. Wire nuts will work fine. Make sure you use the correct size wire nuts for your wire. The junction box needs to be covered as well.
Lori Meehan Says:
Is it possible that my computor could be causing my hot water heaters breaker to flip off?
A: LOL, I would like to say no, but I’ve learned that anything is possible. I’m assuming that your water heater is 240 volts and your computer is 120 volts. These should be on 2 separate circuits. If your water heater circuit breaker keeps tripping, I recommend checking the heating elements.
My inlaws are moving out of thier house and are passing it on my family. My wife and I would like to upgrade the electricity from just a 120 in order to be albe to use modern dohikies. your help would be grreatly appreciated.
A: I provide electrical consulting on my ezDIYelectricity website. I can easily provide you with a materials list, wiring diagrams and answer any residential electrical wiring question you may have during the re-wire.
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- Relocating a Junction Box, Filing the Blades on an Extension Cord, Troubleshooting an Electric Baseboard Heater and Sizing the Wire for a 100 Amp Sub-panel in a Detached Garage
- Answers To Electrical Questions About Electric Baseboard Heaters, Boxes For Thermostats And Supplying Power To A Pole Barn
- Answers to Electrical Questions About Connecting A Ground Wire In A Federal Pacific Panel, Connecting A Ground Wire To Your Dryer and Installing a Tankless Water Heater
- Troubleshooting the Power between a Garage Junction Box and a Lean Too, Tapping the Buss Bars in a Panel and Troubleshooting a Dryer Receptacle
- How Do I Remove a Light Switch that I Do Not Need?