Hand Tools Needed for Completing DIY Electrical Wiring Projects in Your Home
May 8, 2010
Let’s talk about some of the basic hand tools that you are going to need to complete your DIY electrical wiring project in your home. Having the right tool for the job will help you complete your task quicker and safer. As an electrician, I”m exposed to lots of different voltages and environments so I prefer the brand name, professional tools rated for higher voltages. However, you do not need these as a homeowner. You need hand tools with insulated handles rated for a minimum of 250 volts.
Some of the basic hand tools needed to complete your residential DIY electrical wiring projects are:
- 11-in-1 Screwdriver/Nut Driver
- 9-Inch High Leverage Side Cutting Plier
- 8-Inch Diagonal Cutting Pliers
- 8-Inch Long Nose Pliers
- Crimping/Cutting Tool
- Klein-Kurve Dual NM Cable Stripper/Cutter
- Stanley FatMax Tape Measure
- Razor knife
- Straight-Claw Hammer with a fiberglass or wood handle
- Torpedo Level
- Tool Pouch
- Stanley 6-Inch FatMax Jab Saw
If you are going to install a meter base, panel or sub-panel you are also going to need:
- 9-1/2-Inch High Leverage Cable Cutter
- 4-1/4-Inch Folding TORX Key Set – Small Allen Wrenches
- 5-1/4-Inch Folding Hex-Key Set with 5-Inch Sizes – Large Allen Wrenches
If you are going to recess boxes into thick lumber or logs then a wood chisel set will be very handy.
Please keep in mind that this is a basic tool list. You may need specialty tools on a per project basis. Are there any other hand tools that you think I missed and need to be added to this list?
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- Stanley Recalls Stud Sensors Due To Shock Hazard
- Power and Hand Tool Safety Tips
- The Electrical Tool Store Offers Electrical Wiring Tools, Coax Cable Installation Tools and Phone & Data Wiring Tools
- Installing a Switch and Outlet for Power Tools, Troubleshooting an Open Ground and Outlet Heights
- Milwaukee Electric Tool Co. Recalls Batteries Used with Power Tools