Air Conditioner/Heat Pump (PTAC) Units Recalled by Goodman Company Due to Faulty Power Cords
October 6, 2008
On August 27, 2008 Goodman Company L.P., of Houston, Texas recalled approximately 30,000 packaged terminal air conditioner/heat pump (PTAC) units. The PTAC’s power cords can overheat, posing a burn or fire hazard. Goodman has received nine reports of smoke or fire associated with the PTAC’s power cords. No injuries have been reported.
The recall includes 5.0 kW Amana-brand, Comfort-Aire-brand and Century-brand PTAC units with model numbers PTxxx3x50xx (Amana) and EKTxxx-150x (Comfort-Aire and Century), and serial numbers 0702112056 through 0804237539. The model and serial numbers are located on the control board plate found under the PTAC unit’s front cover.
These units were sold by Goodman and heating and cooling equipment dealers nationwide from February 2007 through June 2008 for between $700 and $1,000 and manufactured in the United States.
You should contact Goodman to receive a free replacement power cord. Commercial and institutional owners will be contacted directly and will install the power cord. For additional information regarding Amana-brand units, call (800) 366-0339 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday; for Comfort-Aire and Century-brand units, call (877) 442-4482 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday; or for all products visit www.regcen.com/ptaccord
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- Heating and Cooling Units Recalled by Goodman Manufacturing Co. Due to Fire Hazard
- General Electric Microwave Combination Wall Ovens Recalled Due to Possible Fire Hazard
- Electronic Spa Controls Used on Serenity Spas Recalled by Gecko Alliance Due to Overheating Problem
- Maytag Recalls 2.3 Million Maytag and Jenn-Air Dishwashers Due To Faulty Wiring
- Counterfeit Power Cords Sold Exclusively on eBay Recalled by Hanashop Due to Fire and Shock Hazard