Wireless Light Switches Recalled by Idea Village Due to Fire Hazard
April 22, 2010
On October 21, 2009 Idea Village Products Corp., of Wayne (formerly of Fairfield), N.J. recalled approximately 1.3 million handy switch, wireless light switches because the light switch receiver, which fits into the wall outlet, can overheat and pose a fire hazard to consumers. They have received 14 reports of overheating, including nine reports of fire, five of which involved property damage such as minor damage to curtains, bedding or walls.
The Handy Switch is a white plastic wireless remote light switch with model number KS-080 printed on the back of the receiver. On the front of the receiver is a blue electroluminescent nightlight.
These units were sold at mass merchandisers and drug store chains nationwide, through television infomercials and the internet from March 2007 through July 2009 for between $10 and $15. They were manufactured in China.
You should unplug and stop using the product immediately and contact IdeaVillage to learn about free remedy options. For additional information, contact Idea Village toll-free at (888) 655-4339 between 5 am and 6 pm PT Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.handyswitchrecall.com. Their media contact is: David Epstein at (800) 765-2994.
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- Oscillating Ceramic Heaters Sold at Menards Retail Stores Recalled by Collins International Co. Due to Fire Hazard
- Portable Generators Recalled by Cummins Power Generation Due to Fire Hazard
- Portable Electric Heaters Recalled by Aloha Housewares Due to Fire Hazard
- Generac Power Systems Inc. Recalls Engines to Replace Fuel Tanks Due to Risk of Fire
- Infra-Red Sauna Rooms Recalled from Sauna By Airwall Due to Fire Hazard