Leviton Compact Fluorescent Keyless Lampholder with Pig Tail Leads and Optional Polycarbonate Lamp Guard
December 15, 2009
I learned about a new product from Leviton today. They are now making a compact fluorescent keyless lampholder. The cool thing about this lampholder is the optional polycarbonate lamp guard. This means that you may use these in a clothes closet and place them a minimum of 6 inches away from the storage space. I like these because they are going to be quick and easy to install.
I typically install a recessed can, a compact fluorescent lamp with a shower trim in clothes closets that I wire. This configuration costs me approximately $15.00 for the can, lamp and trim. However, it takes about 1 hour to install the can, wire it, install the lamp and trim. The compact fluorescent keyless lampholder costs me about the same money but, I can install one of these in about 30 minutes. By switching to this product I can be more efficient and complete my projects quicker. Plus, I can offer an energy star compliant fixture for a reasonable price.
Leviton states that these can be used in closets, garages, basements, utility rooms and attics. However, I wouldn’t install these anywhere except for closets. You can get a regular keyless lampholder for about $1.25 and a compact fluorescent lamp for about $2.50 at your local home improvement store. However, if you are making your home energy star compliant, then I recommend installing these fixtures in garages, basements, utility rooms and attics.
Here is the item description taken from Leviton’s website –
Compact Fluorescent Keyless Lampholder with Pig Tail Leads Polycarbonate Housing, COF WHITE, 13 Watt CFL Lamp Included. Rated 120 V 18 Watts Max, Two 8-32 Mounting Screws.
Features and Benefits
- 13W GU24 Base Lamp
- Keyless Bi-Pin Compact Fluorescent Lampholder
- Impact resistant thermoplastic construction
- Optional polycarbonate lamp guard available
- Pigtail leads provide easy installation
- Knockout holes on box enable multiple configurations
- Thread-cutting screws facilitate installation of lamp guard
- Warranty : 2-Year Limited
- Lamp Output = 900 lumens
- Lamp Color = 2700 K
- Installs in closets, garages, basements, utility rooms and attics
- Suitable for indoor use only
- Use with standard wall switch
Catalog number – 9860-LHG
Purchase your Leviton Compact Fluorescent Keyless Lampholder with Pig Tail Leads Polycarbonate Housing on Amazon today.
I haven’t used one of these yet, but I will on my next project. What are your thoughts? Will you install these in your home?
Do you need assistance with your electrical wiring project? Please visit my DIY Electrical Wiring Help from a Master Electrician page. Where I provide electrical wiring tips, expert electrical advice, answers to your electrical questions and electrical consulting & design services over the phone, via instant messenger or via email.
- Nevada Power’s cool plan to save electricity
- Save Money and Help the Environment by Replacing Your Standard Incandescent Light Bulb with a Compact Fluorescent
- NEC Requirements for Installing Receptacles in Your Home
- Shower Stall Recessed Can Shuts Off Then Comes Back On After A Few Minutes
- Where Can I Install My Breaker Box?